Friday, August 3, 2007

Dog days of summer



Has anyone else been wondering what has happened to the dog days of summer? After asking that, I wonder, does anyone know how this phrase even came to be? Now, because I have asked, I have to go see. Be right back….

Okay, here is what I have found: Dog days of summer is an actual time period! July3 – August 11, or more loosely, July – September. It has to do with the largest star in Canis major, Sirius, the “dog star” rising and setting with the sun. Ancient Romans believed the bright light from this star created the heat of summer days.

Another general definition would be a period of stagnation or inactivity.

I wonder how many of us really “suffer” from too many days with nothing to do. Surely like the rest of you, my summer has been too busy, gone by too fast, with too few days of nothingness. I hate to be a complainer, but good grief!

When did life become like this? DH and I have been meaning to discuss an issue for a year now. LOL yes at least one year! (The family budget, and really, who wants to do that?) He brought it up the other day, and I said, okay, you get your palm pilot, and I’ll get mine, and we’ll set a date to discuss it. He asked what I was doing that evening. I admitted I had nothing planned. So…we had our budget meeting. Damn. See? Again, another lost opportunity to do nothing. Lol If it wasn’t that though, it would have been something else that crept up. Life is like that now. I have 9 days until school starts. I have nice days left to try to squeeze in nothing. I don’t have a dog’s chance.

Today’s drink: R&R
1 shot of tequila. (really it’s supposed to me Rumple Minze…but, peppermint and beer? blech!)
1 bottle of Red Dog Beer

Swallow the shot then drink the beer!
Cheers!
Taylor

No comments: